Make-Merch Work For You – Troubleshooting
After running make-merch for just a few months now, we’re starting to see some patterns in the kinds of support issues we get questions on.
This post is an attempt to try and give you the initial tools to try and fix it yourself so you can enjoy make-merch quicker.
Make-Merch runs as a Software-as-a-Service. This means that the software is running in the cloud and you’re using it within a Web Browser of your choice (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer). As you use make-merch, your selections and the text you’re entering create the design in realtime using features of your browser, your computer’s operating system and our servers on the Internet. These are a lot of “moving parts”.
If any part of make-merch is not working for you, we’d like to understand early on in the process whether the cause is something relating to the environment (brower, computer, operating system, etc.) or to something not working quite right on the Make-Merch site.
You can assist by carry out the following quick tests if you experience an issue with make-merch:
- Does it work on another computer?
Yes – ok, so the problem relates to something on your computer, can you please try the next steps below
No – are both computers connected to the same internet connection? It might not be working, might be a slow internet connection. Please try on an alternative Internet connection. If the problem still exists on another computer on another internet connection on another browser, please contact make-merch using email email@example.com or via chat.
- If the problem is just on one computer and the internet connection is fast and working properly, please try the following:
- check that popup windows are enabled in the browser (sometimes if these are blocked, you cannot download an image from make-merch)
- try another browser
- try clearing your browser’s cache (google how to clear cache for your particular browser)
- try running your browser in “incognito mode”
- try disabling any specific plugins/extensions you may have on your browser
- If the problem is with only one make-merch template or with only one particular image, please inform accordingly
What to do if downloaded images are blank or the graphic is missing:
- The most common cause of this appears to be a conflict with an extension in your browser. Typically if you try another browser (chrome, firefox are recommended) this may solve the issue. If it does, you may want to disable extensions or re-install your browser.
- Please check that pop-up windows are enabled in your browser
- The issue may be with the internet speed where you are working from. Some users have reported that they find the images don’t download at home but do download when they work from a faster internet connection at the library
- If the problem is with one particular graphic but other graphics download ok, please report to firstname.lastname@example.org as the image may be faulty on our side.
- For images that you upload, please check that image size is not too big. Test with a smaller image file
Feel free to contact email@example.com. When possible, please provide details of the issue you are facing and whether you have carried out the above steps.